I think love songs create a wrong impression for many people entering marriage. This can be a problem once people realize how different the reality is from the image. Today’s post aims to clear up some of the confusion. We will begin with the “love song” version of what a man will do for his woman and follow that up with a list of what you will actually do in the real world of marriage.
According to songs a man will: (See if you can figure out which songs these come from.)
- Never let you go
- Die for you
- Carry your smile in his heart
- Crawl upon the floor
- See her face every time he closes his eyes
- Feel cold and long for your embrace
- Lay you down on a bed of roses
- Always Stay Around
- Stand with you on a mountain
- Sleep out in the rain
What you will actually do:
- Hold her purse in the mall
- Go get strange food at 2 am when she’s pregnant
- Eat burnt meals without complaining to avoid hurting her feelings
- Learn to use a plunger
- Take out the trash
- Wait, wait, wait, wait and wait
But seriously: It is important to remember that marriage is about life together, and life is not always romantic and fun. Sometimes life requires very mundane things of us (like holding that purse). Learn to enjoy every moment you have together – even if doesn’t feel like the stuff love songs are made of.
What about you? Can you think of more things that don’t make it into the love songs?